Τρίτη 15 Ιουλίου 2014

Dimitris Anousis for Rainy Night

When some years ago I met George Arkomanis and I was facing the score of Rainy Night for the first time, I was surprised, knowing a young composer who either did not know what to expect from his work, or he was expecting so much and... he knew too much!
By studying the work, I found myself confronted with fundamental musical, pianistic  and artistic issues. How a performer should treat a "peculiar" new music score? What attitude must he have towards a new work, when he presents it for the first time, thereby creating a "benchmark"? What is the proper piano sound required to approach the deeper meaning, when it comes to a work without precedent and with huge demands on dynamics, sound colours, articulations, pedals and many other parameters?
You can compare Rainy Night perhaps with some works by Schubert, where you must tell a lot with very little means.... less is more then! A principle that appears to be at the creation of Arkomanis, who manages to be complex and multi-layered in a very simple way, which to me, makes him a modern "classic".
The directness of the work lies in its simplicity. A simplicity that comes from the genius, the personality and the ability of the composer to focus and not to be distracted
from his purpose.
The Rainy Night is a process, an existential quest, a questioning and a solution simultaneously. An archetypal, melancholic and lonely rainy night, during which internal conflicts, dreams, disappointments, fears and hopes compose a psychological mosaic, onto which everyone has step at some point in our lives.
The result of this process, for me, was to become a little better pianist and maybe a little better person. That's why I thank George Arkomanis for entrusting me Rainy Night. I hope the hearing of the work  to do the same to you ...”

Dimitris Anousis

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου